WIS staff predict Premier League winners

Virgil Van Dijk being treated after an ACL injury (Image Courtesy of Eurosport)

With the Premier League closing in on its final quarter, the race for the title and top 4 has become even more heated. Here are WIS teachers’ Premier League predictions.

Aside from Liverpool’s rocky start to the season, the reigning champions would have looked to be favorites for the title. The signing of midfielder Thiago Alcantara and forward Diogo Jota only looked to strengthen the squad further. However, the team has thus far remained unimpressive, especially with the piling injuries. Without key defenders such as Virgil Van Dijk and Joe Gomez, Liverpool has been forced to play players out of position.

“They haven’t got the squad depth,” Liverpool fan and Middle and Upper School Math teacher Colin Buck said. “If you take out Van Dijk, you’re playing Henderson at the back who is now lost in midfield.”

Additionally, the coronavirus has had a seemingly large effect on Liverpool. The Merseyside team was notorious for its winning streak at their home stadium Anfield. However, with Liverpool now reaching a historic losing streak at home, Anfield has lost its touch.

“I think they’re not doing well because the crowds are not there; home advantage doesn’t mean much anymore,” Buck said. “They’re now out of the title race.”

Liverpool is not the only larger club to suffer with their current form. Out of the Premier League “big six” clubs, both Tottenham and Arsenal have faced a drop.

“It’s difficult to watch [Arsenal play],” Arsenal supporter and History teacher Don Boehm said. “You don’t know what you are going to get. There are two faces, one very hopeful and one just looking backwards into an abyss.”

Arsenal has thus far been inconsistent throughout the league. However, Boehm doesn’t think the lack of fans has had a negative impact on the team.

“I think the Emirates might be an easier place to play without the fans,” Boehm said. “[Arsenal manager Mikel] Arteta’s been able to coach the players on the pitch better because there’s no distraction from the noise.”

Beyond the unpredictable results of the top clubs this season, Manchester United has proven to be one of the more consistent clubs.

“This year, we are going to be comfortably top four,” Manchester United supporter Andrew Sopher said.

However, regardless of the optimism surrounding United as a serious title contender, there is one clear favorite: Manchester City.

Despite being a United fan, Sopher believes that City will run away with the title.

“[City] are a collective team that no one can rival right now,” Sopher said. “You could argue that they have the best roster of players on the planet.”

His opinion is echoed by other teachers including History teacher Nora Brennan and Physics teacher Tony Godwin.

“[City] has got so much depth. They just buy their way and get all the players,” Buck said. “If someone gets injured like Aguero, you still have Sterling, Jesus, and Mahrez.”

By Philip He