In Photos: The Dacha’s Relocation

The Dacha en route to its new home outside the Senior Lounge. Its relocation is part of the WIS plan for a new science building. (Tindra Jemsby/International Dateline)

The Dacha, an iconic WIS building added in 1945, was moved from its original location above the soccer field to a secluded wooded area outside the Senior Lounge on March 30. The process took over five hours, taking place on the Thursday of WIS students’ Spring Break. One window burst in the process, but it was otherwise successful.

According to Dale Temple, WIS Director of Facilities and Operations, the Dacha will be available for public use at the earliest in January 2024.

The Dacha before and after being elevated by Wolfe House & Building Movers. The lift was in preparation for its move to the woods outside the Senior Lounge. (Tindra Jemsby/International Dateline)
The Dacha’s path of travel illustrated on a map of sediment and erosion control. (Courtesy of Dale Temple)
A time-lapse of the Dacha being moved into place on the parking lot near the Mansion the day before its relocation. (Courtesy of Dale Temple)

By Tindra Jemsby