WIS Boys Varsity Soccer Falls Yet Again at the Hands of Rival Wilson

Jasper Pearson takes a free-kick late in the first half

WIS boys varsity soccer was defeated by Wilson, 2-0, under the lights on Friday, October 20th.

The bleachers were packed at the opening kickoff of this match, with almost equal support on both sides. Wilson started strong, with their first goal coming from senior Ben Wilson in the 7th minute. After that first goal, WIS couldn’t catch a break for the rest of the half. Shortly after the goal, WIS’s Center Defender Fabrice Grey was sustained a leg injury and was pulled for the rest of the game. Wilson’s second goal came in the 18th minute, on a breakaway by Senior Eric Gwadz. Things were already looking bleak for WIS, when Midfielder Sami Kattan was injured on a rough tackle late in the first half, and he too was pulled from the game.

It’s not like WIS didn’t have many chances in the first half, there were several crucial missed opportunities, such as two free kicks blocked by Wilson goalie Simon Birnstad. Birnstad was crucial to Wilson’s victory, racking up 12 saves over the course of the match.

The Second half was scoreless, despite WIS dominating possession, and holding the ball in Wilson’s third of the field for a large part of the half. One thing that did increase in the second half was the physicality. There were more than twice as many fouls in the second half compared to the first.

When the final whistle blew, Wilson’s fans stormed the field in celebration. This was the second time WIS has lost to Wilson, the first being at WIS’s homecoming game. After the match, Wilson’s record rose to 12-0-1, and WIS’s dropped to 12-3. It was the first game of the season where WIS was held scoreless.

By Liam Byrne