Jake Drimmer: A Family Legacy Fuels Oberlin’s Newest Baseball Talent

Jake Drimmer playing for GrandSlam Baseball in 2023. Drimmer has committed to play baseball at Oberlin College, beginning in the fall of 2024. (Courtesy of Jake Drimmer)

The journey to college athletics is one filled with determination, resilience and passion. This story holds true for senior Jake Drimmer, who, on Oct. 1, 2023, announced his commitment to play baseball at Oberlin College, beginning in the fall of 2024. Drimmer became the first college baseball player to come from WIS. Drimmer’s story is not just about baseball; it’s a tale of the pursuit of a dream that runs deep within his family.

Drimmer was introduced to baseball at a young age. Growing up in a family where baseball was more than just a pastime, it was inevitable that he would develop a strong connection to the sport. 

“I started baseball when I was about five years old,” Drimmer said. “I feel like I was always good with hand-eye stuff.”

His early years with baseball were heavily influenced by his predecessors, many of whom shared a love for the game. 

“My dad played college baseball as well; he played D1 at Columbia,” Drimmer said. “It kind of ran in the family; my grandpa and great-grandpa also played seriously.”

Despite the absence of a high school baseball team at WIS, Drimmer’s dedication to the sport never stopped. This determination led him to play for D.C. International School (DCI), an experience that played a crucial role in his development as a player. 

A pivotal moment in Drimmer’s journey happened during his summer after 11th grade, when he started training under the guidance of his trainer, Coach Ramon Brito. This led to a transition in how he viewed his potential in baseball. 

“That’s when I went from not being able to play in college to being able to play in college,” Drimmer said. 

The summer with Coach Brito was not just about improving his game but also learning valuable life lessons. 

“I learned how to work hard, I learned work ethic, I learned that there’s no shortcuts in life,” Drimmer said.

However, Drimmer has also dealt with many obstacles throughout his journey. Drimmer’s severe finger injury during a crucial college baseball recruiting period in July 2023 could have deferred his goals, but he continued to be resilient. 

“I persevered through that and played through the injury and ended up getting a couple of offers [from colleges],” he said. 

The journey to college baseball is complex, involving showcases, communication with coaches, and demonstrating skills on the field. However, Drimmer’s commitment to Oberlin College was a choice driven by a sense of belonging and a connection to the team and facilities. 

“I went there, and I felt at home,” Drimmer said. 

As Drimmer prepares for the transition to college baseball, his focus remains on recovery and improvement. Despite the challenges, his passion for the game and the drive to make a strong impression on Oberlin baseball. 

“I want to go in and try to make an immediate impact,” Drimmer said. “I want to go and just help the team win in any way I can.” 

Drimmer’s story is about dedication. As he steps onto the field at Oberlin College, he carries with him not only his family’s legacy but also the hopes and aspirations of a passionate young athlete. For aspiring athletes looking to follow in his footsteps, Drimmer’s advice is simple. 

“Work hard,” he said. “Find someone who believes in you and go for it.”

By Leonardo Sarzi Braga and Kasra Salehi