2019 House Representatives: You Could Be One!

Azim. Berani. Kanna. Mahi Tahi. Radoss. Wachifundo. Six houses. One cup. A year full of daily trivia, sport championships, and ending it all with an epic lip sync battle. The House system was created in the 2016-2017 school year by our creative Dean of Students, Mr Beck.

According to him, his inspiration for it came from “the American School of Madrid and the American School of Sao Paulo, Brazil. They did different things [from us in the House system] and, quite honestly, we do a lot more then they were doing [when I taught there]. They would mainly do activities during lunch, like sitting with their houses.”

The House system works with three advisories (one from each grade level) getting placed into one of the six  “Houses” at the beginning of each school year. This system is a great way for all of the Middle School grade levels to unite in order to come up with a creative logo, cheer, service project, and more. Although, unfortunately, we never really noticed any service project actually take action, students did manage to come up with various clever ideas such as painting the bathrooms, tutoring younger students, and creating a new lost and found system.

The House Cup this year was split into two sections; a first and second-semester winning House. Just recently, on April 17, Wachifundo was pronounced the winners of the championship, allowing them to access awesome privileges, such as getting early release to pizza and Grill every week. This means that Azim, the first-semester cup winners no longer have access to these fabulous opportunities. A previous House Cup winner student stated that she’s “super sad about losing my Azim privileges but am happy that my Wachifundo friends can enjoy them” and she “will miss getting released early for pizza, because the lines were so much shorter.”

Now that trivia points don’t count for trivia anymore, Mr Beck will try to keep us motivated by “creating more trivia related activities after the House Cup is awarded each semester, like a Trivia Bowl”. Next year, he also plans on “creating a House Council next year where house representatives discuss potential House activities.” He remained a little mysterious about this brand-new idea, but one thing we know for sure is that next year will be extremely eventful in the world of Houses.

By Maia Nehme