Grammy Awards 2018

The 2018 Grammy Awards premiered from Madison Square Garden in New York City on Sunday January 28th. The Recording Academy who runs the Grammys and who is in charge of the promotion, choosing the voters and the hosting for the award show, announced the 2018 nominees in November. Before announcing this year’s winners, here are some winners from last year:

• Adele – “25”: Album of the Year
  • Adele – “Hello”: Song of the Year
  • Chance the Rapper – “Coloring Book”: Best Rap Album

When the Recording Academy announces the nominees, many music followers and fans take to Twitter and Instagram to voice their opinion on who should win, who will win and who will perform during the live show.

As soon as the 2018 Grammy nominees were posted on their website on November 28th, 2017, fans on Twitter and editors of news outlets such as Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly already started making their predictions. The most popular predictions were that Kendrick Lamar would win Record of the Year for “HUMBLE.”, Logic would win Song of the Year for “1-800-273-8255”, and SZA would win for Best New Artist.  

Now onto the main show.

Regarding the entertainment during the show, some of the most memorable performances from the night included: Kesha performing her Grammy-nominated song “Praying” alongside Cyndi Lauper, Camila Cabello and Andra Day; a duet of “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John and Miley Cyrus; and a powerful performance for “1-800-273-8255” by Logic, Alessia Cara and Khalid.

Finally, the winners of the night surprised some and were expected by others. Here are the artists who took home some of the biggest awards of the night:

• Bruno Mars – “24k Magic”: Album of the year
  • Bruno Mars – “That’s What I Like”: Song of the Year
  • Alessia Cara: Best New Artist
  • Ed Sheeran – “Shape Of You”: Best Pop Solo Performance
  • Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”: Best Rap Performance
  • Chris Stapleton – “Either Way”: Best Country Solo Performance

For those wondering why some albums that came out in 2017 were not recognized by the Recording Academy: recordings needed to have been released between October 1st, 2016, and September 30th, 2017 to make the cut for the 2018 Grammy Awards. For example, Taylor Swift’s album “Reputation”, Kelly Clarkson’s album “Meaning of Life” and Sam Smith’s album “The Thrill of It All” were all released after the deadline in 2017, making them possible contenders for the 2019 Grammy Awards.

Full list of winners:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8096569/grammys-2018-winners-list

By: Holden Davitian