DREAMScape Performance Review

DREAMScape Performance Review

The 2017 annual gala performance of DREAMscape took place at the Lincoln Theatre in Washington, Saturday, May 6th. The event, created by CityDance, was hosted by the Emmy award-winning dance icon, Debbie Allen and the chairs: Dafna Tapiero, Alan Fleischmann, Linda potter and Tim Shriver.

2017’s Lineup:

• Ballroom stars Denys Drozdyuk and Antonina Skobina
  • Brooklyn Mack and Maki Onuki (The Washington Ballet)
  • Bruce Wood Dance Project  
  • Cervilio Miguel Amador and Chisako Oga (Cincinnati Ballet)
  • Cloud Movement
  • Guest artists from Complexions Contemporary Ballet: Kelly Sneddon, Andrew Brader, Greg Blackmon and Timothy Stickney
  • Step Afrika!
  • Tap star Cartier Williams
  • Special appearances by CityDance students

The showcase brought together a range of styles of dance, and performers and audience members from a range of backgrounds, creating a warm atmosphere, as established dancers and City Dance students enchanted the stage.In my opinion, the Ballroom stars, Denys Drozdyuk and Antonina Skobina, and the Russian ballet dancers,  Cervilio Miguel Amador and Chisako Oga were the most captivating and interesting due to their skill level and flair for performance, and of course my personal style interests. The interpretations of well-known songs and pieces, such as a Michael Jackson number and Stomp Africa were well produced and executed. The pieces were moving, either inspiring deep thoughts or a need to clap along with the dancers.

A critique however of the melange of styles was that it created an atmosphere where the audience were fairly unruly and lively, a style which works for a breakdancing piece but not Russian ballet, and this disregard for respect through silent appreciation and reserved applause was fairly frustrating. Furthermore, although I do appreciate that we are the capital and that the creators and some of the dancers in the performance wanted to use the show as a political platform, it would have been nice to have an evening that was noso politically charged and instead focused on the art from and melange of styles in the showcase, because I think that focusing so negatively on the politics in America really took away from people’s appreciation of the show.
The show has been recognized by former First Lady Michelle Obama in 2015 and was awarded the National Arts and Humanities
Youth Program award. The show, held this year at the Lincoln theater and opened by Debbie Anderson, is one I’d definitely recommend, just prepare yourself for the political charge present and a lively crowd and you’ll enjoy the performance.

• Phoebe Thomas