A Glimpse at the World of Mr. McCraw

A Glimpse at the World of Mr. McCraw

Favorite book: Down and Out in Paris and London

Favorite movie: Lost in Translation

Favorite leader in history: Aung San Suu Kyi

Favorite moment in history: Mandela’s release from prison

Favorite football team: Manchester United

Favorite food: North Indian food

With every new school year comes the excitement of re-connecting with old friends, but also of meeting the new members of our community. This year, whether you are ambling through the WIS hallways or whether you have him as a new teacher, take a moment to get to know and welcome Mr. Paul McCraw.

Originally from Scotland, the new history and TOK teacher has also lived in the South of Spain, India, China, and Malaysia, before coming to live in the United States, where he had visited when he was quite young. When asked about his thoughts on the people and culture of the U.S., he replied that, although it was his first time living here, “The culture, people and environment all feel broadly familiar to my experiences in Europe. One thing that has surprised me is how open and friendly people are. Scottish people are known for being a little ‘dour’ at times!” Mr. McCraw says he was pleasantly surprised at how green DC is and how nice the parks are. Regarding his previous homes, he says they each had pros and cons. “ I really enjoyed the weather and location of where I was living in Malaysia: it was really easy to travel to beautiful islands and exotic countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and Myanmar.”

If you want to discuss soccer, Mr. McCraw may be the perfect person to do so with. He follows Hibernian, a Scottish Premier League team from north of Edinburgh, and Manchester United, the Red Devils. He is also interested in cricket, golf, and rugby. Of course, these are not Mr. McCraw’s only interests: as WIS students know very well, our school is very involved in global issues. When asked what world news interested him, Mr. McCraw specified individual rights and freedoms. He explained that he, “was fascinated by the impact of the political system in China and Myanmar on the people of the region and their mindsets and was lucky enough to get involved in working with migrant workers in Beijing.”

One final detail before you return to preparing for school: students entering or already in the IB, pay close attention! Mr. McCraw’s tips for you are to “Embrace the challenges and be as organized with your time as you can.” Good luck with the 2015-16 school year!

By Alexia Godron