Latine Student Union (LSU) Embraces Hispanic Heritage Month

The Latine Student Union (LSU) leaders pose at the Upper School Club Fair. From left to right: seniors Isabel Restrepo, Ariana Campo, Natalia Martina, Kathy Lee and Luana Dos Santos. (Courtesy of Luana Dos Santos)

The Latine Student Union (LSU) club is led by seniors Ariana Campo, Luana Dos Santos, Kathy Lee, Natalia Martina and Isabel Restrepo. LSU’s mission is to create an “environment where Latine students at WIS can feel comfortable and celebrate their culture,” according to Martina. 

During meetings, the club members get together to both embrace their culture and discuss current issues and events in Latin America.

LSU recently celebrated Latine Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. Sept. 15 marks the day when  Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua gained independence from Spain. The next day, on Sept. 16, Mexico gained independence. 

To commemorate this month, LSU members are finding “nice and fun ways where a whole community can come and bond together” such as hosting lunches and teaching dances, according to Martina. 

Although Hispanic Heritage Month only lasts for 30 days, LSU members will continue to celebrate their culture during the rest of the year. There are many ways to be more involved in Latine culture: supporting local Latine businesses, listening to Latine music, trying new Latine foods and staying informed on Latin American issues. 

Martina believes LSU is a tight-knit community that strives to inspire people to “show pride for [their] culture and identities.”

By Valeria Cuesta Lopez