Vocal Music: Virtual or Socially Distant?

Upper school vocal students singing at a school concert in the Black Box Theater a few years ago. It is uncertain when the next in-person concert will be. (WIS website)

Vocal teachers at WIS are conducting their classes virtually at the moment, having students sing by themselves at home. However, with hybrid learning starting on Oct. 5, it is still unclear whether they will start doing in person singing with their students.

Vocal music at home has been going well for many students, but many miss performing and practicing in person. There are concerns, however, with singing in person as aerosols, the tiny droplets that come out of the mouth and travel through the air, may transmit the coronavirus. 

“Science is changing, and as far as the transmission rates and the cases of the virus make it difficult for us to sing, even when we go back in person,” Upper School Vocal Music Teacher John Munt said.

During virtual learning, students are mostly singing on their own, due to the fact that different internet connections make it difficult to sing all together on Zoom at the same time. 

“It’s a combination of Zoom classes, while the students are singing with their mics muted, usually. But I always start with a vocal warmup, and then as I can, break out and work with them specifically on their parts,” Munt said.

Additionally, Munt creates practice tracks, with the individual singing part and the accompaniment, for students to sing along with on their own. He also has his students send in recordings of themselves singing their part at the end of each cycle to hear how they’re progressing.

Middle school vocal teacher Madeline Gondek is taking a similar approach. Along with practice tracks, she creates rehearsal videos for students to sing along with during asynchronous classes.

“I am also rehearsing with videos because over Zoom everyone singing at the same time is not super conducive to good rehearsal. So, I’m recording videos that try to emulate what we do in the classroom,” Gondek said.

With the school going into hybrid learning, Munt and Gondek are looking into ways to sing together in person in a safe way, despite the challenges and health risks.

“Singing is a high risk kind of activity, because there are more aerosols produced, especially if you’re singing louder or singing sustained notes,” Munt said. 

Singing is a high risk kind of activity, because there are more aerosols produced, especially if you’re singing louder or singing sustained notes.

Upper School Vocal Music Teacher John Munt

Singing indoors is not yet recommended, but singing outdoors is a safer option that the vocal teachers are looking into. 

“The current guidelines are that we don’t sing with or without a mask indoors at WIS, but that we can sing outside, if the weather is right, and with a mask,” Munt said.

However, there are still issues that arise with singing outdoors, such as finding the right space. Additionally, due to the two cohorts, half the class will be virtually participating, while the other half is in person. This makes it difficult to rehearse singing, while also engaging the whole class.

Gondek thinks that singing while socially distant is not ideal. She is planning to continue rehearsal videos for students to sing along with at home. At the same time, however, she is figuring out the logistics for singing on campus eventually.

“It’s not impossible to sing on campus. We just need to have a nice day and a space outside,” she said.

Another obstacle is that masks make it hard to hear everyone singing. To resolve this, Munt is considering  different options, such ordering wireless handheld microphones for each student to use.

“In this time you have to be innovative, it’s unfortunate,” Munt said.

8th grade student Madeleine Fine feels that, under the current situation, her virtual vocal music class is going as well as possible. However, with hybrid learning approaching, she is concerned about singing in person. 

“I would definitely not feel comfortable at all. And I don’t think singing in person is going to be happening because of safety reasons and also singing with a mask on obviously poses a lot of challenges,” Fine said.

She would prefer having vocal classes all virtual, as they provide consistency and better opportunities  to practice singing.

“I think virtual is just better in this particular class because it’s about singing. When we are in the hybrid model, the classes we will have during that week of vocal will just be about music composition, which I also like, but I would prefer to have singing going on as well,” Fine said.

On the other hand, 9th-grade Claire Khajavi is longing for a chance to sing together in person again. 

“I would find [singing in person] better because I feel like in person it’s much more useful, and you can learn more. You just get more out of it,” Khajavi said. 

Additionally, she is eager to get back to singing in person soon, as she misses the connections that are built around singing together.

“I feel like that’s one of the aspects of music and singing that I just enjoy, being in sort of a community, and in a group, and doing things. I find that so enjoyable and so much fun,” Khajavi said.

I feel like that’s one of the aspects of music and singing that I just enjoy, being in sort of a community, and in a group, and doing things. I find that so enjoyable and so much fun.

9th grade student Claire Khajavi

Khajavi, unlike Fine, would be happy to go back to singing in person again soon. Even with the safety concerns, she believes that if the proper precautions are taken, she would be comfortable with the idea.

“I am aware of [the concern with aerosols], but as long as the school could figure out a way for us to do it safely, then I’d be fine with it. If we weren’t safe, and there was a risk, then I’d say definitely not, because safety is more important than how well we sing,” she said.

Looking forward, it is still unclear how singing will continue in the hybrid model. At the moment, students are enjoying the virtual situation. Though it is not perfect, and many miss singing together, it provides a safe option for continuing to sing.

“The students have given me really positive feedback that [virtual vocal classes are] working and they feel comfortable. And it sounds like they’re picking it up,” Gondek said.

Though the virtual classes are working well, the vocal teachers know that it is not the same. They are eager to sing in person again. 

“I really want to sing together,” Munt said. “I miss singing together with students, that’s how we learn.”

By Naomi Breuer