How Marvel Ruined Infinity War’s Ending

This article contains spoilers for “Avengers: Infinity War” and Speculation for “Avengers 4”

“Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.”

While Thanos, the main villain of “Avengers: Infinity War,” says this while discussing his evil plans, his statement could refer to seeing “Infinity War.” The movie has smashed box office records and grossed over $1.5 billion worldwide.  This economic behemoth of a movie has also gotten solid reviews and has an 84 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Many reviews applauded the ending of Infinity War as shocking and an interesting twist on the superhero movie. However, Marvel’s release schedule, contracts with actors and other business decisions have spoiled the next Avengers movie and ruined the emotional impact of “Infinity War’s” ending.

“Infinity War” follows the Avengers as they fight Thanos, a powerful alien hunting for the Infinity Stones, six powerful crystals that grant unlimited power to their wielder. Thanos wishes to use the Infinity Stones to kill half of the living beings in the universe. In the end, Thanos succeeds in collecting all six Infinity Stones. In the process, Thanos kills half of the Avengers by turning them to dust.

Many characters killed in the ending of “Infinity War” have movies scheduled in their futures. “Spiderman Homecoming 2” and “Doctor Strange 2” are slated to come out after Avengers 4. Kevin Feige, head of Marvel Studios, has stated that Black Panther will soon have a sequel. All of these characters died in the ending of “Infinity War”. The implication, therefore, is that their deaths are not permanent and they will return before their next movie. This ruins the surprise and emotional impact of ‘Infinity War” and its ending. So much of the drama and stakes is built on the idea that if a character dies they are gone for good. Marvel movies have done this before with various characters. But to do this with their biggest film yet means that Marvel no longer has an interest in creating interesting stories that can surprise viewers. If an actor makes enough money for the studio, they are bound to survive so that Marvel make more money.

Not only that, Marvel’s contracts with actors also reveal significant details about future movies. Marvel insiders have revealed that Marvel contracts are usually for six movies. By this standard, the actors behind fan-favorite superheroes Captain America (played by Chris Evans), Iron Man (played by Robert Downey Jr.) and Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) will have their contracts expire after Avengers 4. The actors behind the Hulk (played by Mark Ruffalo) Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (played by Jeremy Renner) will all have more movies in their contracts. Marvel’s contracts with actors have revealed key plot details years before the actual movie is released.

However, Marvel’s contracts and business decisions may not actually be relevant to the movies. All information about release schedules and contracts comes from Marvel or the actors under contract there. Information about the contracts is murky and could be incorrect. The release schedule doesn’t ensure that a character will return from the dead. “Spiderman Homecoming 2”, “Doctor Strange 2” and “Black Panther 2” could be set before “Infinity War” or another character in the MCU could take up the mantle of that superhero. While Marvel Studio’s business information appears to spoil its movies, this won’t be known until the movies actually come out. In essence, all of the implications for future Marvel movies are only speculation. But with a fanbase as large and dedicated as Marvel’s, any clue or rumor to the next Marvel movie can spread like wildfire.

Marvel’s promotional and business information will likely spoil the plots of many of the movies it has kept under wraps. As a part of the multi-billion entertainment conglomerate, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel has pushed superhero films into the spotlight for movie studios and audiences. Spoilers can ruin the experiences of watching the movies that have come to define the Hollywood blockbuster in the 2010s. No matter what, you should still enjoy a movie you liked. As Thanos said, “Destiny still arrives.”  

By Nicolas Greamo