Movie review: “The 39 Steps”

Movie review: “The 39 Steps”

“The 39 Steps” is one of Alfred Hitchcock’s first movies, showcasing his directing brilliance. It was the first Hitchcock movie i saw and has definitely compelled me to see more.   

Released in 1935 this is one of Hitchcock’s few movies in black and white. The movie is loosely based on John Buchan’s novel, but is more an adaptation, transforming the plot of the book to better suit the big screen. The book’s plot is long and complex and would lose the attention of a viewer. Hitchcock adapts the story, making it more suspenseful and riveting.   

The movie is unlike something you would see today in theaters, because of Hitchcock’s suspenseful style. This however, only enriches the audience’s appreciation for the movie and accentuates the deliberate choices made by the director. During every plot twist there are many camera angles or much dialogue to appreciate, and one is always marveling at one thing or another.  

The protagonist Richard Hannay, a young Canadian is an ordinary man spending time in London. As in many of Hitchcock’s movies, the protagonist is an innocent man who is pulled into a story full of intrigue.

In the opening scene, Hannay finds himself in a London music hall when a man is shot. As the crowd rushes out of the theater, a woman asks to come home with him and confesses she has done the murder.

After arriving at Hannay’s house the woman is restless and alert, she explains her predicament: she knows that foreign spies who have stolen a valuable military secret and are preparing to take it out of the country. She tells Hannay that both of their lives are in danger as they are the last people to know this secret.

Later that night Hannay finds the woman dead in the house and realizes what he is now caught up in. With the little information the woman has left him, Hannay must flee as the police suspect him to have killed the woman, and the spy organization fear he could know too much.

During the next four days Hannay escapes through the English and Scottish countryside, narrowly dodging capture and death all the way through. Hitchcock often introduces scenes with silence and dialogue is used sparingly, which builds the tension. The use of silence to build tension made me reflect on how movies have changed and what is used nowadays to, finding the silence a strikingly effective way to.     

Hitchcock superbly inserts unexpected events and narrow escapes by the protagonist, and always keeps the viewer on their toes. Mixed in to this chase between Hannay and his pursuers are comedy and terror, which all add to the atmosphere of suspense and are perfectly effective. Frequently Hannay is is at the mercy of others and has to convince them to help his escape and collaborate with him, the most notable time being when Hannay is handcuffed to a blond woman played by Madeleine Carroll, whom Hannay tries to convince of his innocence.

A stellar movie by Hitchcock, at just the age of 36. A master of cinema Hitchcock has many works following the same general outline, namely “North by Northwest”. The movie is truly eye opening to what Hitchcock can do with the camera. A very enjoyable movie, I would definitely recommend it.     

By Tommaso Forni