The WIS Dress Code: Student and Teacher Opinions

What is the dress code? Many students at WIS do not even know or understand what the dress code is. The WIS dress code has been a debate between administration and students for a long time. We should care because many students feel as if there is inequality in the rules and target certain people such as girls.

The WIS dress code exists but is not reinforced as much as it should be. There has been controversy against students. Teachers may notice a student is wearing something that is not appropriate for school, but may not say anything about it. Some teachers don’t even realize that there is a dress code at WIS.

Fouzilla Saady states : “I guess every school has one, but here, I don’t really notice it. I don’t really see it being applied. If it is strict, well not enough because apparently everybody can wear what they want.”

A lot of students are either not affected by the dress code, or very affected in what they wear. Most students just want to come to school in whatever they feel comfortable in. Many teachers notice flaws in what students wear, more then students see in their peers.

Claire Ducharme, an eighth grade student at WIS says, “I try to follow the ones that seem most sensible.”  Whereas Trevor Jehl, a ninth grade boy at WIS says : “It does not really affect me.”

Some students feel more targeted than others such as girls because they can not wear a piece of clothing they want because it could be ‘distracting’. Teachers notice that it is more girls than boys who tend to wear clothing that is inappropriate for school. Girls at WIS do not pay much attention to the dress code but still come to school in something that they feel is appropriate for the school environment.

Claire Ducharme stated :  “When I was wearing spaghetti straps, a teacher once suggested to put a cardigan on.”

Beta Eaten, the Dean of the school sent out an email regarding the dress code. The dress code has been reinforced at the school since teachers have been seeing students wearing clothes that do not seem appropriate for the school. Many students don’t feel the need to look at the community handbook because they believe what they show up in is okay to wear.

The email says : “Dress code! There are have a been outfits around campus that do not meet our dress code. If you need a reminder, please come talk to me or take a look at the Community Handbook.”

Many teachers do not even notice the dress code rules for students, and even if they see a student wearing something inappropriate, they will not point it out. Mostly the people who enforce the dress code know what it is and will point it out. Teachers think that students should use their common sense in what to show up in at school.

Fouzilla Saady stated : “Only some people follow the rules. I see some people wearing, mostly girls, they wear very short shorts or something not appropriate for school because most boys just show up in long shorts or pants. Nobody really pays attention to it.”

Do these rules benefit the students? The dress code can affect certain people on a personal level that teachers may not know about. The dress code interferes with gender equality and diversity. Many rules are acceptable and should be understood by the student without having to read the handbook.

By: Michelle Svihra