Blade Runner 2049: Review

Warning spoilers ahead.

On October the 6th, Blade Runner 2049 was released in theaters in the United States. The film is set in a dystopian future during the year 2049. This science fiction film is written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green and directed by Denis Villeneuve. Blade Runner 2049 has an impressive cast composed of Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, with Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, Dave Bautista and Jared Leto.

The film plays homage to the original when, during the first moments of the film, it gives an introduction and places the film in context, stating what happened during the timeline of the Blade Runner universe that has lead up to the beginning of the film. After the collapse of the Tyrell company, a new company, Wallace, has risen from the ashes to continue the mission of making replicants to work as slaves off world or to do the work that humans do not want to do.

Set 30 years after the original Blade Runner, the film tells the story of a replicant blade runner named Officer K (Ryan Gosling) who’s job is to “retire” older replicant models. Very early on in the film he discovers the remains of a replicant who died during childbirth. K is then tasked by his superior Lieutenant Joshi (Robin Wright) to find and “retire” the child in order to prevent a possible war between the humans and the replicants. He soon after discovers the mysterious link between the child and the missing blade runner Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford).   

A race to find the child soon ensues with Wallace who wants to find the child in order to unlock the ability of replicants to reproduce and the LAPD which wants to kill the child so that the knowledge that a replicant gave birth is not released to the public. It is then discovered that many replicants have come together in order to plan a rebellion against the humans. The replicants want to keep the child safe because they believe she will lead the rebellion against the overbearing humanity.  

The 2 hour and 43 minute film is called “Visually stunning and narratively satisfying” by Rotten Tomatoes, as “Blade Runner 2049 deepens and expands its predecessor’s story while standing as an impressive filmmaking achievement in its own right.” As well as having an 88% approval rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website as of right now.

I have to agree with with Rotten Tomatoes, because the film spectacular when it came to the visual effects. There is a moment in the film where Niander Wallace (Jared Leto) recreates Rachael (Sean Young)  from the first film, in attempt to negotiate with Deckard. The filmmakers used impressive techniques to make this moment in the film a reality. However the precise technology used has not yet been revealed yet by producers, although it she was most likely created using some form of CGI.

The film ends with the reunion of Deckard with his daughter, a character we had met earlier on in the film but was not known to be the child at the time, and the death of Officer K. While it was an unexpected ending for some, there were hints along the way that made this ending more believable.  

All in all, when I walked away from this film I had mixed feelings about it. For one I thought that it was very long and at some moments the plot could be slightly difficult to follow. However, the overall plot and message of the film was easily understood and I was incredibly moved when Freysa (Hiam Abbass) said something along the lines of; dying for what you believe in is the most human thing you can do. In addition, I was blown away by the amazing visual effects and I definitely felt like I had seen nothing like it before.

Featured Image Credit: Little White Lies

By: Lucy Porter