Students React to Adaptive Sports Day Due to Construction

The red team celebrating their win on Sports Day. (Martina Tognato Guáqueta /International Dateline)

An adaptive version of Sports Day took place on Friday, Oct. 13. The spirit and teamwork filled event takes place once a year, where middle school and upper school students are split into 15  groups and partake in a series of sport-like activities.

Usually, Sports Day occurs on the WIS soccer field, which is currently closed off due to construction of the new science building. As a result, this year the physical education (P.E.) department had to improvise in order to keep the annual tradition alive. 

Upper School Associate Head of School Natasha Bhalla was certain that Sports Day had to take place one way or another, despite the challenges while planning the event. “This was a very tough thing to do,” Bhalla said. “We could have just canceled it, and who would have wanted that?”

Throughout the day, a variety of engaging activities unfolded, such as a scavenger hunt, a cup tower competition, the human pyramids and, of course, the beloved tug-of-war. In the past, the activities were roughly the same, but more hands-on and somewhat more physical. 

Sixth grader Henri Espinoza remarked his first  Sports Day experience on the Tregaron campus. “I am competitive so I really like it,” Espinoza said on the day of the event. “I think everyone is having fun and everyone is excited.” 

Other students that had experienced Tregaron Sports Day in previous years thought the change was quite drastic, but not difficult to manage.

“I was not expecting scavenger hunts, and things outside the gym, so I really enjoyed that,” sophomore Camila Ricci said. “I am having a lot of fun, and there is a lot of positive energy.”

Many students in the class of 2024, however, were disappointed that this was their last year taking part in the event. 

“It’s sad that we don’t get the field for our last Sports Day, but I am trying to stay excited,” senior Sam Huffard said.

Huffard also noticed that the location of the gym made it difficult for some to engage properly in the activities. “It is less engaging than prior years, but when you are in the midst of an activity it’s very fun,” he said. 

Despite the differences, the significance of Sports Day remained the same, with or without construction. 

“I am hoping it will continue to build the camaraderie,” Bhalla said. “Sports Day has always been a day where kids across grade levels can build a sense of community.” 

By Andrea Brudniak-Berrocal