Review: Eastern Market, Capitol Hill’s Cultural Hub

Shoppers browse Eastern Market’s meat and produce options. Located in D.C.’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, Eastern Market offers a wide variety of foods, fashion and history. (Lauren Brownell/International Dateline)

Buskers play music on the sidewalk as numerous customers browse each tent. The smell of freshly-baked empanadas wafts through the building. Shoppers try pieces of freshly-cut fruit and wait in line for delicious treats.

Eastern Market, completed in 1873, was designed by a German-born immigrant named Adolf Cluss. By the early 20th century, Eastern Market was known as the center of Capitol Hill. Now a historic landmark, the market has expanded to selling wares both within the building and along 7th St. SE. 

Weekends are typically the busiest, with crowds of people browsing jewelry, clothes, posters and prints. Additionally, from fruits and vegetables to bread and meat, Eastern Market has a wide variety of ingredients and food to choose from.

The Market Lunch, one of the most popular stands in the Eastern Market building, specializes in Italian sandwiches. Outside of the building, many visitors are attracted to the aroma of West African style grilled chicken sold at Spicy Water, a well-known food stand. There are also vegan and vegetarian-friendly options available, such as Zoe’s Vegan Delight.

Eastern Market’s surrounding area also includes many attractions. Call Your Mother, a popular bagel shop, and The Duck & The Peach, a modern brunch spot, are just a few blocks away. Turtle Park, a one-minute walk from the Eastern Market building, is perfect for a picnic on a sunny day.      

Finally, Eastern Market is very accessible via metro on the Blue, Orange and Silver Lines. Prices are between $5 and $20: a reasonable fee for a delicious meal. With options ranging from food trucks to produce, Eastern Market has something for everyone.

By Lauren Brownell