Kate Cooks’ Fall Recipe Review: Pumpkin Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Roasted Cauliflower

Kate Cook’s Pumpkin Mac n Cheese with Roasted Cauliflower. (Courtesy of Kate Strangfeld)

Former Middle and Upper School Science Teacher Kate Strangfeld published a Pumpkin Mac n Cheese with Roasted Cauliflower on her popular food blog, Kate Cooks. It is centered around “seasonal, practical, & balanced recipes that have a bit of flare,” according to her website. In a four-part series, Dateline staff reviewed four of her fall recipes. This article looks at her Pumpkin Mac n Cheese with Roasted Cauliflower.

This recipe stood out on her blog because of all of its melted cheese. However, the pumpkin was a unique addition: would it be too sweet? How would the flavors of the cheese and pumpkin work together? The short description, featured on both her blog and recipe, described the recipe as easy and quick to make.

The recipe itself, true to Strangfeld’s word, was simple and easy. The ingredients were easily accessible and there is flexibility with the choice of pasta shape and cheese. Realistically, it takes about an hour to make this recipe and serves six. If you’re using a standard 15 ounce can of pumpkin, there will be leftovers, and the recipe takes a bit more than the designated half an hour. 

The Final Product: 9/10

Warm out of the oven, Pumpkin Mac n Cheese with Cauliflower from the Kate Cooks blog (Isabella Duchovny/International Dateline).

When the pan came out of the oven, it filled the kitchen with its warm, cheesy, and inviting smell. I couldn’t wait to dig in. It could have used more time in the oven to fully melt the cheese, but it still tasted delicious. 

The pumpkin and the cheese worked perfectly together and the cauliflower was a nice addition. It was just right for a casual dinner, although not fancy enough to serve at a dinner party. 

Be mindful about the amount of salt you add, as you can also add more cheese later on to achieve the same flavor. It could also use a lot of pepper, especially in the pumpkin sauce. These specifics aren’t mentioned in the recipe, so taste as you go along. 

Another thing to figure out is what cheese to use. I used a blend of Monterey Jack, sharp cheddar, aged gouda, and a sprinkle of parmesan on top. Overall, this recipe is great because of its simplicity and autumnal flavor.

By Isabella Duchovny